Five Tips for Staying Hydrated
Most people know hydration is important to health. The amount of water you should drink depends on a variety of elements, but we all know water is essential to our well-being. The human body is 50% to 75% water. It’s true what they say: Water is life!
Dehydration happens when the body loses more fluids than it takes in. That can impact your body as well as your mind and make you feel tired, stressed or weak. What are the symptoms of dehydration? Generally, if you feel thirsty, you’re dehydrated. Other symptoms of mild dehydration include light-headedness, headache or fatigue. Mild dehydration can progress to moderate or even severe dehydration, which can cause rapid heartbeat, fever, listlessness and fainting.
Beyond water, what does dehydration have to do with hot tubs? A lot! Hot tub users can become dehydrated more easily. Make sure you’re well hydrated before entering your hot tub.
There’s no denying the health benefits of a hot tub. But simple steps can help you monitor your fluid intake and ensure proper hydration while you enjoy your spa. Check out these five easy tips for staying hydrated in your Hot Spring hot tub!
1. Buy a reusable water bottle and take it everywhere! Having water at the ready removes roadblocks to staying hydrated. It’s also a good visual reminder to take a sip. If you choose a reusable water bottle, make sure you clean it properly.
2. Mom was right. Eat your veggies! And your fruits. While water is the easiest way to keep hydrated, fruits and vegetables are a great source of H20, as well. Most fruits and veggies are high water content foods that contribute to your body’s overall hydration.
3. Want to make sure you’re staying hydrated? Check the color of your urine. Pale urine indicates that you’re meeting your body’s fluid needs. Dark, yellow urine means you need to drink more water.
4. Infuse your water! Slice a few lemons, strawberries or cucumbers and toss them into your reusable water bottle. The fruits will enhance the flavor and appearance of your water and make every sip taste great. Add an antioxidant boost of rosemary or peppermint with your favorite fruits. Get creative – the possibilities are endless! Check out these beautiful, fruit-infused ideas, and be sure to keep colorful, spa-safe glassware and thirst-quenching refreshments near your spa. Try one of the Three Delicious Detox Water Recipes we found.
5. Drink a warm cup of herbal tea before bed every night. The tea will relax you, provide health benefits and boost your daily hydration totals.